Friday 16 March 2012

Friday's fennel loaf

This week I've gone back to one of my favourite bread recipes from the Moro The Cookbook: Bread with brewer's yeast which only needs one rise. I halved the ingredients in the recipe, as the instructions for my food mixer advise against using more than 500g of flour when making bread, as the motor can over-heat. 

So, the ingredients are 500g of strong white flour, 350 ml tepid water, 1 level tsp of salt, and half level tsp of dried yeast mixed in125ml of warm water. I've used instant dried yeast and have mistakenly used a whole sachet which I I thought would speed up the time of proving to sooner than 3 hours. The recipe called for the loaf to rise in the tin by at least a third, and no more than the top of the tin. To boost the flavour I added a couple of tablespoons of dried fennel seeds, as I love the aniseedy taste, and am lucky enough to have fennel growing wildly all around here.

Well, again I had to leave it overnight as it hadn't risen sufficiently. And by the morning it had risen to over the top of the tin, which did cause a problem with removing it later. I baked it at 200 degrees centigrade for 30 mins and 10 mins out of the tin. The finished result is a little flat on top, but the texture is moist and bubbly; it certainly smells aniseedy, and it tastes very good indeed, especially with a couple of fresh local mackeral from Deal Fish Direct - delicious.








No comments:

Post a Comment